Monday, November 17, 2008

Bruce Longenecker to Baylor!


I know this has been all over the biblioblogosphere already, but as one who aspires to do a PhD and had Baylor has one of the few schools I planned on sending an application to, I am very excited to hear that Bruce Longenecker will be coming to Baylor to assume their chair in the Religion Department!

I planned on getting ready for my GRE's soon after the new year, now this gives me even more incentive. Of course that is probably the idea of hundreds of other applicants as well. Oh well, a guy can dream can't he?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is indeed good news for Baylor. I encourage you to apply at Baylor. They have a good PhD program in NT, particularly if you want to do work on the Gospel o Luke. If you get accepted you won't be too far from where I live. I'm about 1 hr 30 minutes away from Baylor.

Good luck with your application.

Lou

Mason said...

Good luck on the GRE's, thats a fun process lol. I'd recommend using the official study book and doing a lot of practice tests, it helped me quite a bit.

Marcus Adams said...

Hey Matt. Ran across your blog--remember me from ATS and a few SBL conferences?

Good luck on the GRE, man. I hate that test. I took a course on it because I didn't have enough motivation to do it all myself, so if you have $$ to spare I'd recommend doing that.

Once you hear back from some programs send me an email. I ended up going the philosophy Ph.D. route, but I interviewed at one Religious Studies Ph.D. program, and I was quite surprised with how rigorous the interview was--on par with a job interview. Seriously. Anyway, good luck w/ the test and w/ apps.

Cheers,
Marcus

Matthew D. Montonini said...

Thanks for the advice, Mason and Marcus.

Marcus, it is great to hear from you. I hope all is well with you.

I'll keep you posted on any progress I'm making on the PhD route.

Matt